With that many results, how is it possible that people still have trouble saving? I’m sure that one of your New Year’s resolutions was to save more money too.
Let me use a little analogy: One of my favorite movies is The Matrix. It speaks of a world in which there are two realities: one that’s the life we live every day, and another hidden behind this first layer. The first world is a dream; the second is The Matrix.
That has always fascinated me: Have you ever had a dream that you were very sure was real?
The instructor, Morpheus (played by Laurence Fishburne), is trying to teach the protagonist, Neo (played by Keanu Reeves), to fight under special rules of the game. In order to get Neo to learn, Morpheus screams, “Come on, stop trying to hit me and hit me!”
That statement reflects exactly what people have to do to start saving — and it’s the only trick that matters: Stop trying to save and save!
What do I mean by that?
Thinking about saving money is a waste of time. To be successful, you have to actually do it. Seriously! As soon as you finish reading this!
Go online or to your local bank and setup a CD.
Invest In a mutual fund.
Go to your bank and open up a separate savings account. Then gamify it and download a saving app.
Stop procrastinating and do it already! Then be consistent.
Don’t just do it for a few weeks. Force yourself to save with an automatic paycheck transfer of at least 10% on the first day of every month.
Seriously. Stop thinking about saving and just get to it!
Now you’re saving money. Congratulations!
And what happens after that?
In The Matrix, after Morpheus implores Neo to stop fiddling around, Neo begins to perceive the reality of the Matrix and realizes that it’s not so much technique as it is human will. That’s the source. That’s the true force; the real trick.
Human will is what turns your ideas into reality.
In the real world, if you set aside 10% of your income towards saving, on Day One your mind will immediately begin looking for ways to live on less money. This means that first month will probably be a bit, er … messed up.
However, by the end of the second month, you’ll have grown accustomed to living with 10% less income, and you’ll have found a way to reduce your expenses accordingly. Best of all, you’ll have been saving for two months.
And if you can’t reduce your expenses? The truth is, 95% of people who make that claim are simply making excuses because they’re unwilling to adjust their lifestyle. But if you’re among the other 5% who truly can’t set aside any money for saving at the moment, then keep your head down and keep grinding. You’ll eventually reach a point where you can finally save a little for the future. I know because I was there once.
For the rest of you, let’s get to it. Here’s an article highlighting some actual, practical tips on how to save money — but until you change your way of thinking, none of that matters.
So, what are you waiting for?
Photo Credit: JD Hancock