Going through the mortgage process can be an intimidating, overwhelming experience, even for people who have done it before.
For newcomers, it can be especially difficult. It’s easy to understand why: you’re facing the prospect of entering into an agreement that puts you on the hook for huge amounts of money over a very long period of time.
Mortgage contracts are long, complicated and filled with minutiae. The entire process can be
Continue reading 3 Essential Tips for Finding the Best Home Loan
One of my favorite television shows is National Geographic Channel’s Locked Up Abroad. Each week, this absolutely fabulous show features the story of somebody who had the misfortune of either getting incarcerated in a foreign prison or kidnapped abroad and held against their will.
For those of you who haven’t seen it, Locked Up Abroad is narrated on-camera by the actual people whose story is being told. This first-person narrative not
Continue reading 10 Red Flags That May Signal You’re In Big Financial Trouble
This is a guest post by Logan Abbott. Logan is the editor of MyRatePlan.com, a leading comparison site for credit cards, mobile phones, phone service, insurance, and more.
The New Year is upon us, and that means you probably made some New Year’s resolutions. If you’re like me, at least one of the resolutions you make each year involves improving an aspect of your own personal finance.
I had dinner with a
Continue reading The Best Credit Cards of 2013
I have a voracious appetite for time-travel stories. I absolutely love ‘em.
One of my all-time favorite television shows, The Twilight Zone, devoted at least five fantastic episodes to the subject; I wish Rod Serling had written more of them.
This weekend the Honeybee and I rented Looper, a recently-released time-travel flick starring Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. It was a really terrific movie — and if you don’t believe me, check
Continue reading Are You an Unwitting Financial Time Traveler?
Many folks who tally their assets and liabilities after years of modest but steady increases in income often end up scratching their heads, wondering why their net worth is nothing to write home about. Whether they’ll admit it or not, those dumbfounded individuals usually have a lot in common with the chronic couch potato who can’t understand why he weighs 450 pounds. Both have management issues — the former, cash;
Continue reading 100 Words On: How Our Debt Troubles Are Usually Related to Diet
“What kind of dressing would you like on your salad?”
For most people, it’s a simple decision. Not for me though.
I don’t know why, but when my server asks me that question I usually tense up and act like I’ve just been asked the million-dollar question on Who Wants to be A Millionaire.
“Dressing? I really can’t decide if I want ranch or bleu cheese. Well, eh, um, ah, er, uh, oh,
Continue reading Why Choosing Debit or Credit Is Like Picking Salad Dressing
I’m not a big football fan. Oh sure, I occasionally enjoy watching football on television. But, unlike hockey and baseball, I rarely bother buying tickets to attend football games in person.
That being said, this past weekend my buddy had an extra ticket to a college football game between USC and Arizona State, so I eagerly tagged along.
Anyway, as I was sitting in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum blissfully watching the
Continue reading Why Close Is Often Good Enough When Managing Your Money
Financial freedom can be a difficult term to define, but at a very basic level it simply means controlling your own finances entirely.
In order to gain financial freedom, you have to be free of debt, able to provide for yourself, and able to prepare for your future. However, achieving those goals is often easier said than done — particularly in times of economic hardship such as those that much of
Continue reading 6 Basic Steps to Help You Achieve Financial Freedom
A democracy can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy. The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations has been 200 years.
– Alexis de Tocqueville
The bottom line: By 2016, our National
Continue reading 100 Words On: A Grim Warning to Those Who Think Money Grows On Trees
Twenty top CEOs were surveyed by Yahoo! Finance and 80% of them said they wake up every morning at 5:30 or earlier. As for the the other 20% — they rise and shine no later than 6:00. According to Forbes, studies show that early risers are more optimistic, conscientious and stable. It turns out that morning people are more proactive too — which leads to greater career success and more
Continue reading 100 Words On: Why Most Early Risers Usually Wake Up Smiling